Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A blog by any other name


Up until three days ago, this blog was called BloopBloopOtter because I say "bloop-bloop" a lot and I like otters.(See future post on "language" for deeper meaning.)

But it didn't work.

First of all, I just slapped it on there when I created the blog and needed a title. Secondly, nobody knew what it meant. Thirdly, I didn't know what it meant.

For months after the christening of BloopBloopOtter, I considered other names, even as I also considered this blog's reason for being.

I considered "Raison d'Etre."

And "Joie de Vivre."

I thought about "Ambient Light" because I'm all about natural light, photographically and otherwise.

Maybe "Soul Sistah" because I am my mother's daughter?

How about "Synchronicity" -- a play on words?

"Taking the Long Way Around" because that's the angle of my journey?

Or "Daily miracles" because I believe every day has at least one?

Everything was too literal.

And then my children and I came up with the current one. And God it fits.

It sooo fits.

First of all, I love me some funk music.



Secondly, I love me some funk shoes.



Thirdly, I thought of a summer night about three years ago, when, after wayy too much wine, two friends and I started The Passion and Intimacy Club. We didn't really DO anything. We knew we weren’t chartering a real club with membership dues and meetings. We were just making a statement about what was important to us.

Tragically, one of the “members” up and died not so long ago. But the other one is here. And she manages to get up offa that thang every ding dang chance she gets. Does she dance every day like James Brown? Actually, I think some days she curls up in the fetal position, just like the rest of us.

But I do believe she experiences all of life from the middle of the dance floor.

That's what this blog is about: Refusing to sit it out.

Into each life, a little James Brown must fall. Unh.

4 comments:

  1. Huh... never realized you three had a name! Still learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, OK, now I get it. Is this KP, BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was just a whim in the spring of 07 or maybe early summer. It floated away on the breeze...

    ReplyDelete