Sunday, July 11, 2010

Simple salsa secrets


Hey!!!! I made some salsa for my kids for the finals of the World Cup. From chop to blend to table took me maybe seven minutes. And it was so yummy and I just don't know why I don't do this all the time instead of buying that processed, expensive stuff at the store. Actually, I do know why: It's because I don't always have all those fancy gourmand peppers around. The thing is, you don't need all those fancy gourmand peppers. Fresh gourmand peppers, a la habanero, serrano, jalapeno, like some of my gourmand friends like to grow, are yummy additions. Only problem is not all of us have fresh gourmand peppers lying around all the time. And, shhh, they're really not necessary. All you need for a good, fresh salsa is what's in the picture above, which is:

2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper, which you can find in your spice section
1 large clove garlic
2 tablespoon cilantro
pinch of salt
squeeze of lemon



Throw everything in your food processor. Go pulse pulse pulse, maybe three times, like Dorothy. No more or it'll turn into gazpacho, but just enough to blend it all together in a salsa-like form.

And there you have it, the best, least expensive (cost maybe $1.75), healthiest salsa this side of the Atlantic, made so not by fancy gourmand peppers, but by cilantro. That, my friends, is the secret ingredient -- an herb native to Southern Europe, a la Spain, which went on to win the 2010 World Cup. Viva L'Espagne and cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment